Saturday, September 25, 2010

Ensign Ranch

We decided to take one more family camping trip before the really rainy season is upon us.
I agreed to go only if we rented a cabin or something so that we could be warm at night.
Dave looked around and decided that we should rent a cabin at Ensign Ranch.
It is church-owned recreational property (used for girls camps etc).
I am sooooooooo glad we had a warm place to sleep as Kaitlyn chose to become very sick about the time we got to the ranch. Consequently, I was up most of the night with her. She was feverish, congested, coughing, having trouble breathing, having diarhea...you get the idea.
We ran to Cle Elum and bought some vicks vapor rub, ibuprophen and a vicks vapor thing that plugs into the wall and dispenses that same vicks smelling stuff.
It was a LONG night. By morning I was really getting worried as she could no longer breath well enough to eat and since she'd been having diahrea I was afraid she would be too dehydrated. So we packed everything up, ate a quick breakfast and started driving home. I called my doctor's office and spoke to the nurse who gave me a whole list of things to try (and I couldn't do any of them while away from home). As soon as we got home I ran into the bathroom with Kaitlyn and turned on the hot shower so the room got steamy. Then I used saline solution to get her nose flushed out. She did NOT like that at all! But once it was done she could finally breath well enough to nurse. I fed her and then had Dave hold her while I gave her tylenol, which she gagged on on spit up the entire meal + medicine. So I gave her some more medicine and she is now peacefully resting in her car seat next to a humidifier. I've decided it should be against the laws of nature for babies to get sick!

Back to Ensign Ranch....before Kaitlyn got too sick we were able to look around a little bit and do a few things. We took a walk around Crabtree Lake and then took turns taking Cody and Abigail on canoo rides. Cody liked it well enough, but Abi wanted OFF now please! She finally decided it was okay when Dave took her out a second time. I think it would be a great place to camp in the summer when there are more activities available (and hopefully no sick children).

Kaitlyn, just before the fever struck full force.

Cody helping launch the canoo.


Dave, Cody and Abi on the first canoo ride (right before Abi asked to get out).



Abi enjoying a snack before dinner.


Mommy and Kaitlyn by Crabtree Lake.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I so glad she is feeling a little bit better. It is no fun when our babies are sick!

Dave n' Kristi said...

scratch the feeling better part. I just got back from the ER with Kaitlyn. She has "actue croupe" for which they had to give her a steriod shot and cool mist breathing treatment. I just hope we don't have to go back again!