I don't know about other mothers, but once I started having babies my spirituality took a nose dive. Mostly because I was no longer doing very well at scripture study and personal prayer. I have felt bad about it in the past, but not enough to make a huge effort to find quiet time with my Father in Heaven. I'm not saying I haven't read the scriptures, I have, but it was more like "it's ten pm and I'm exhausted so I'll quickly read a couple of verses so I can say I did it today." Not really studying or ever thinking about what I read much as I fell into bed exhausted.
Well, in the past few months I have been praying that I could get back to the level of spirituality I had as a missionary. Because it was awesome to feel the Spirit all the time! I also want to be a better teacher and leader for my children.
It amazes me how Heavenly Father answers prayers. One day as I was scrolling through my Facebook page someone had posted something about how reading The Child Whisperer had really helped her understand each of her children individually. That really grabbed my attention and I found the book on my kindle and began reading it. For the first time in a while I felt so excited about something! I felt that here was truth. I started to understand not just my children, but other people too (including myself). This led me to reading It's Just My Nature, also by Carol Tuttle. Then I bought the dressing Your Truth program and started making changes in myself. And again, I felt like I was learning truth and was EXCITED to have things changing in my life.
Next I was introduced to the book Remembering Wholeness by Carol Tuttle. From the first chapter I was blown away by the ideas she was presenting and the Spirit I could feel while reading. This is what I find so wonderful about the way Heavenly Father answers prayers. I don't think I would have accepted the ideas in Remembering Wholeness(or in another book I'll mention soon) had I not first gone through the dressing your truth program and seen and felt those positive changes first. In His tender mercy the Lord brought me the information I was seeking in a way that I would be open to it.
Next I was introduced to the book Visions of Glory by John Pontius. What an incredible book! And I was feeling the Holy Ghost confirm truths to me every time I picked it up! A lot of the things in this book go hand in hand with what I learned through Carol Tuttle's books. Right now I am reading Journey to the Veil by John Pontius. He was an amazing writer who I am able to clearly understand and who wrote so much about coming unto Christ. I have been able to make scripture study so much more effective for myself after reading this book! I know I still have such a long way to go in my personal growth, but I am on the right track and the Lord is leading me every step of the way. The gospel of Jesus Christ is true and it works! This is one of my new favorite quotes by "Brother John" as he calls himself in his book. I know that the Lord will lead anyone on their own personal journey who is honestly seeking truth. Here's to our journey....
Kristi
3 comments:
Its so nice that you can read so much! I was very impressed with the number of books you have read in the past six months!
And I'm grateful you have been able to feel closer to the spirit
Thank you for sharing your journey via this blog post. It has inspired me.
Thanks for sharing. I know exactly what you mean about taking a nose dive. I have been looking for something to get me jump started on my own personal development.
Post a Comment