Friday, December 23, 2011

Nine years

Thornwood Castle the morning we left.

Picture of the castle and medieval helmets inside the castle.



The next two are of us in the "sunken garden." Not much was growing in there this time of year, but it would be beautiful in the spring when everything is blooming.






It is hard to believe that 9 years have passed since Dave and I were married. We have not ever done more than go to a movie or dinner for our anniversary before, but this year we decided to leave the kiddos with Grandma and Grandpa Burt so we could go stay one night in a CASTLE!

I was logging into my email account one day a few months ago when a headline on yahoo caught my attention. It was an article on castles in the U.S.A. I was curious where they might be, but didn't think there were any around here. However, it turns out there is one in Tacoma. It is called Thornwood Castle. It was built by Chester Thorne as a gift to his wife Anna about 1907. Thorne bought a castle located in Wales and had it dismantled and shipped here where it was rebuilt.


It is a beautiful place and turned out to be a really nice get-away for us. They don't do tours for the public, so the only way to see it is to stay there. I'm glad we splurged and went!

1 comment:

Claudette Burt said...

Cool Castle. It really looks like Mr. Darby could walk right out of it!