


We brought Buddy home on Thursday evening. So far the kids adore him and he is a really nice and well behaved dog. The only problem we've had so far is that he is an accomplished escape artist! We don't have a fenced yard so our plan is to keep him chained up for the first week or so until he learns that this is his home. However, Buddy really likes to be near people and we have been next door at Grandma's a lot the past two days. So, while we were over there, Buddy managed to get his collar off and come find us.
Then we brought him with us and chained him near where we were playing outside. The kids started wandering and I followed and Buddy got his collar off again to come follow us. I thought, "Well, since he wants to be by us I just won't chain him right now and he will probably stay close." He did for about five minutes and then he went exploring straight down the road to the other neighbor's house and he did NOT come when I called. I had to go chasing after him and he didn't come until I was within about five feet of him.
I put him in the garage and loaded up the kids so we could run to the pet shop for a harness. We brought it home and put it on him and all was well for a little while. Then while we were eating dinner next door I saw a black streak go by the window and sure enough Buddy had escaped the harness to come and find us!
Since then he has escaped the harness once more while we were at home, just inside the house. If he was a short haired dog that didn't shed so much I might just concede and let him be an indoor dog, but he has long hair that is shedding massive amounts of hair. No way is he coming inside! I'm thinking maybe I'll have to convince David to go the invisible fence route so I don't have to worry that he will run off all the time.
Other than that he has been very patient with the kids petting him and taking him for walks and brushing him. He LOVES to be petted and seems eager to be near us. If we can just get him to stay on our property I think he will be the perfect dog for our family!
4 comments:
Oh you are one brave soul! Pablo wants a big dog sooo bad, but I keep telling him it won't be till we have a big yard! :) He looks adorable though & it's a plus he's good with the kiddos. Good luck on the training!
We've had our dog since the 16th and she has short hair but sheds like crazy! I dont like hair so I may have to get a roomba. I dont trust her in the yard alone because she has dug twice. It gets better after a weeek or so, once he realizes you are not going anywhere and gets secure he will mellow out with the escaping. Our dog would run and jump into the car every time we were going somewhere and it would take 10 mins to get her out. Now she is much better.
oh yeah one more thing- when we lived in poulsbo I as afraid to get a dog because we didnt have a fence. I thought about the invisible fence but what happens when there is a power outage because there tends to be a lot of them?
He loves you so much it sounds like he mastered the art of escaping just to be with you and your cute family :).
At least he's not a Husky I heard those suckers are even harder to keep leashed up. lol
I love the last pic buddy looks sooo content with life.
Post a Comment