Saturday, July 23, 2011

I said never but....

Abigail has been begging for some kind of pet for a LONG time. I kept telling her that maybe for her birthday we would get her something (note that I was thinking hamster or fish). Then about a week ago Dave called me from work saying that one of his co-workers had found a really nice dog and she was looking for a home for it. She had taken it to the vet and gotten it's shots. The vet thinks it is about 4-5 years old. It has been blinded in one eye and the vet was sure someone had paid to try to have it surgically fixed, although it is still blind in that eye. It appears to be some kind of Australian Shepherd mix.

I agreed that we could go meet the dog and then decide if we really wanted one. I am not a huge dog fan. I prefer cats, but as I'm allergic it isn't ever going to be a pet we own. Cody has always been afraid of dogs so I thought I was pretty safe in saying we would never get one. However, I have been out voted. The dog turned out to be VERY laid back and relaxed. Dave's co-worker said he hasn't ever even barked, just whines sometimes if he's left alone. He also bonds to women so I'll probably be his person of choice:)

He has one more visit to make to the vet (so he doesn't make any puppies) and then we will be bringing him home next Thursday. Here is a picture of the kids meeting him.


3 comments:

Kristen said...

Yeah!!! Very exciting! We got a 3 year old dog last weekend and it is amazing how attached we've become already and she feels like part of the family. I think your dog will definitely benefit your family...once you get over the extra hair and extra sweeping and vacuuming ;-)

Unknown said...

is this going to be an outside dog or an inside dog? that will be so fun to have a dog around the property again!

Emlizw said...

You know my dad said the same thing.....and we ended up having 3 dogs lol. We'll see how far I get with the same thought, if I ever get married and have kids.
It is cute though.