Monday, August 23, 2010

Wish me luck!

A long time ago I made a chore chart for the kids and told them they would get a sticker everyday for each chore completed. Well....lets just say Mommy was not very good about remembering to do the stickers and the whole thing went by the wayside long ago.

With Cody starting school next week I have a new plan! I made a daily checklist for Cody and Abigail of the things they need to do each morning before they can watch tv or play. One of the things on the list is a chore from our new "chore bucket." Inside the bucket is a bunch of 3x5 cards with a simple chore on it (such as wipe off the kitchen table). They will pick out a card and do the chore on it. Hopefully as it is going to be a new routine (and not an extra thing Mommy has to remember to do) it will soon become easy and work well.

So, wish me luck. The kids will find out about it tonight at family home evening!

4 comments:

Dave n' Kristi said...

I forgot to mention that I have a new Mommy chore chart with certain chores I will do each day so that I know that everything got done at least once a week (Grandpa would be horrified to know how long it has been since my floors have been mopped, hopefully now they will get done weekly)!

Claudette Burt said...

Good luck! Raising responsible kids is one long continual experiment - worth the effort :)

Kristen said...

Thats a good idea! I think I could remember that better than the chore chart too! I tell them they get a star on their chart and then I forget to put it on.

T. Driaza said...

I might just have to try this "chore bucket!" I made a list of chores Mia has to do each day (a couple per day), but she gets tired of doing the same ones over and over....this random picking might change it up a bit so she doesn't get bored with repetition. Make sure to up date us on how the bucket goes! Good Luck!