Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Eggs

We let the kids dye their Easter eggs last Monday for FHE. It was surprisingly non-messy and everyone loved doing it. Kaitlyn kept trying to lick the dye off her fingers every time she put a finished egg into the drying area. Cody was trying to see if he could copy the "cool" way Daddy was making his eggs multiple colors by only holding a portion of each egg in each dye. Abi kept forgetting that her eggs were in the dye and then she would move onto a new egg in a new color only to discover that her other egg was still getting colored. She ended up with some pretty dark colored eggs that way!






The next morning as soon as Cody woke up he started saying, "Eggs for breakfast!" So, I got out his eggs and we started to peel one. It became very apparent that I had not cooked them quite long enough (which was so crazy because I left them in there for about 20 minutes). They were soft boiled, not hard boiled and the yolk was definately NOT done. Not wanting to waste 2 dozen eggs, I put them back into our waterless cookware and cooked them for another 15 minutes or so. When I took the lid off all the dye had come off much to the dissapointment of my two oldest kids. Only the pink ones still had a few speckles here and there. So, we went to the store, bought new dye and they got to re-dye them that afternoon. Cody was not impressed by my lack of properly cooking them the first time, but he survived. Now I know that if I ever need to get the dye off something I'll stick it in my waterless cookware and steam it for 15 minutes!



2 comments:

Claudette Burt said...

Love the photos!

Emlizw said...

Sounds like a fun time and very informative.
I think Dave would like trying a making a Ukraine Easter Egg. (It might have to be something to wait on till the kids are older though)It's a great way to add lots of color to an egg. My family's been creating them for a long time. It's fun. Time consuming depending one what you do, but fun. lol